Saturday, July 12, 2008

GEORGE MARTIN

One of the numerous "Fifth Beatles" spoke at USC tonight. Beatles producer George Martin, at age 82, stood for two hours and delivered a fancy PowerPoint demo about his accomplishments. I have to admit that it was impressive to hear him talk, and I did learn a few things about his work.

However, I had heard much about his tremendous ego, and assumed that those comments were laced with a bit of jealousy at both his accomplishments and his sheer luck for being in the right place at the right time. But hearing him in person, it did strike me that he was a bit full of himself. More than once in his lecture he referred to "the five of us in the band," explaining that he "played piano in the studio." I suspect he did not do very much as a musician. I have no doubt that he did a lot as a producer and engineer. But I think it's unfair of him to claim himself in the same vein as the band.

He also spent a bit of time talking about the Cirque de Soliel show LOVE that is based on the Beatles music, after complaining about contemporary artists reusing material, specifically referring to George Lucas (an odd choice while speaking at USC).

However, it was a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to hear the fifth Beatle (excluding Stu Sutcliffe, Pete Best, Brian Epstein, and various other studio musicians claiming the title). And for that, it was worth it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mr Bondelevitch,

While I can see how it must look, from the outside looking in, when George Martin equates himself as a Beatle collaborator as ego... in fact it is pretty fair. Remember, at the time the Beatles were self-taught musician teenagers at the time, sneaking up to the rooftop of Abbey Road Studios to smoke pot between sets and George Martin was a classically trained arranger and producer wrangling them in. He is responsible for all the orchestral arrangements and a big part of their sound.

As a former student of yours (2003), i am surprised that you would acknowledge the collaborative aspect of film but not George Martin's contribution to the Beatles.

George M

Bondelev said...

This is why I am not a professional writer.

I never said anything to take away from his contributions to the band. I said that in the hour I heard him talk, he repeatedly referred to "the five of us in the band, I played keyboards" which overstated his role as performing musician with them.

I stand by that.