Wednesday, August 05, 2009

KNOCKED UP

OK, I'm 2 years late to the party on this review, but hey, we just got HBO. It's tough seeing a movie so long after all the hype; it can't possibly live up to it. And it didn't.

First off, I was shocked that Seth Rogan is such a terrible, terrible, terrible actor. He's funny, and I suspect that he ad libbed many of the funniest lines of the film, but it was real tough watching a film with a lead actor who is the this unsympathetic.

Katherine Heigl, on the other hand, shocked me by being such a good actress. I had no trouble believing her in a fairly complex role. The script however, needed a lot of editing in terms of tone and structure, and 2:15 is QUITE long for a goofy comedy. The film took itself MUCH too seriously and in the end that only made it tougher to watch.

I do like Judd Apatow, but this movie makes me glad I didn't spend money on his new "serious" film. He should stick to what he knows best: comedy. And maybe watch SULLIVAN'S TRAVELS again before he decides to bite off more than he should chew.

No comments: