Saturday, November 27, 2010

INCEPTION

INCEPTION is one of those movies that is bullet-proof to criticism. If I say I don't like it, fans will respond that I didn't understand the complicated storyline, or complain that I don't like intellectual films (was this really one?) or that I'm too impatient to sit through a 2 1/2 hour film (none of which are really true). Actually I was never really bored in the movie, which I guess is a compliment, but I certainly don't get what all the hoopla is all about.

For a movie that was supposed to be really well written, I have no idea who any of the characters were or why I should care about them. And just because something is complicated to the point of confusion, that does not make it "art." It just makes it confusing. Even for all the layers to the story, I was never really surprised by anything that happened, even though I felt like there were about two too many layers.

From a technical standpoint, the movie is outstanding. One of the best looking and sounding movies I've seen in a long time. Leo is definitely becoming a very good actor, and it's hard to fault the other performances as one-dimensional when that's the way they were written. I wish there had been just a little bit of depth to Marion Cotillard's character, that would have made all the difference in the world.

I enjoyed the film, but that's about it.

No comments: