Friday, October 19, 2012

Sleeping Beauty (plus the CSO)



The Colorado Ballet gave a wonderful performance of SLEEPING BEAUTY tonight, although the intermissions were interminable and made the whole evening close to three hours long. It's not Tchaikovsky's best work; the third act is unnecessary and not very memorable. But there was some phenomenal dancing on the stage and the audience was enthralled.

Two weeks ago we saw the CSO perform Rimsky-Korsakov but I forgot to review it as I had my own recital I was preparing for and had guests in town. I am always amazed at how good the Colorado Symphony is, and Scheherezade SCHEHERAZADE is a great orchestral showpiece, featuring the concert-mistress Yumi Hwang-Williams. Also on the program was another great showpiece by Richard Strauss, Til Eulenspiegel's Merry Pranks, one of my favorite pieces. The horn section blew their asses off. It was a great night. The lowlight of the evening was the Strauss Horn Concerto #2. Not a favorite piece, although it was played quite well by the principal horn Michael Thornton. Carlos Miguel Prieto conducted well, especially on the R-K.

No comments: