Thursday, August 06, 2009

TED WILLIAMS

HBO recently ran a new documentary about Ted Williams. He's a fascinating figure historically to baseball fans like myself, especially Red Sox fans, but I had assumed before watching it that it would be a rehash of old material. I was wrong, they shot a lot of new interview footage for the film, including a lot of Boston sportswriters, and several players, including my father's good friend Johnny Pesky.

Overall I'd say it's worth watching for fans, but if you are as big a fan as I am, you probably won't learn anything new. His daughter is interviewed but sheds no new light on his life and death, which is a bit of a shame. Also it seems the film overlooks a number of negative incidents in his career.

Still, the footage is great, both archival and new, so it gets a "worth watching" for baseball fans.

2 comments:

Riot Nrrrd™ said...

Hi David,

That was an excellent documentary on Teddy Ballgame. I DVR'ed it and will watch it again and again.

BTW, I'm about 10 miles from you, up in Sunland. My name is Greg Earle and I went to SHS ('76). My Dad taught at the High School up until the end of your Junior year, I believe. Your Mom passed away during the start of my Senior year, and my Seagull is dedicated in her memory.

Now that you're older I can see your Dad in you. (I came here from your Facebook page, after having done a search on SHS people)

Anyway, just wanted to say hello, looks like you have done quite well for yourself out here. I have been here since Sept. '76 and haven't figured out how to escape since. Maybe when I retire from JPL in 15 years or so :-)

If you ever go out to Santa Monica to catch a Sox/Celtics/Pats game at Sonny McLean's, feel free to drop me a line.

Greg

Bondelev said...

Greg -

Send me a Facebook message, or an e-mail.

You can get my e-mail address here:

UC Denver