Wednesday, September 08, 2010

OUTRAGE

OUTRAGE should probably have been titled OUT RAGE, as it is a documentary about the outing of gay politicians. I have to admit that I was surprised at how much new material there is in this film. I follow politics to some extent but there is a lot in this film that I had no idea about. There are a lot of great interviews with gay writers and some with politicians as well. Even though the film is now a year old, it still is very relevant to current issues (sadly) about homophobia in our culture. The film is very well edited by my friend Doug Blush.

It's difficult for me to imagine how a gay man could be actively homophobic, but the movie makes a case that much of the anti-gay legislation of the last decade is actually the result of gay politicians who are afraid to come out of the closet. I'm sure many of them told themselves that an anti-gay constitutional amendment would never pass (and it did indeed fail) but by supporting it, they gave credence to homophobic arguments. Thankfully, Proposition 8 has been overturned in California. But as we approach the 2012 election, expect gay marriage to be a major issue again.

I very strongly recommend this movie to anyone who is interested in these issues.

No comments: