Friday, February 24, 2012

STINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPOILER



I have not read the novel TINKER, TAILOR, SOLDIER, SPY, nor have I seen the well-loved Alec Guinness version (why isn't this on Netflix?), but this movie is a rather dull and and un-involving version of a complex cold war spy story. It's odd that it is so boring as I expected to like it a lot, like THE CONSTANT GARDENER, which is a nice adaptation. Gary Oldman is quite good in the role of Smiley, but frankly he does not have a lot to do in the movie. It's kind of a master class in understatement, a big departure for the guy who appeared to be born to play Sirius Black, and whose overacting in LOST IN SPACE almost killed his career.

It's rather long and confusing, but it is very well shot and the sound design is excellent. I do like the fact that there are a lot of scenes with little to no dialogue, that is inherently interesting to me. But I can't recommend this movie, even as a rental.

No comments: