Tuesday, January 10, 2012

HUGO


HUGO is one of the best films I have seen in a long, long time. It is everything THE ARTIST wanted to be but failed upon. This film has rich characters, complex situations, and visual and aural beauty. It has a great original score by Howard Shore, and fantastic sound work by Tom Fleischman.

The film is truly an homage to the great films of yesteryear. The visual beauty is the culmination of a lot of different work: Cinematography, set design, costume, and visual effects. It is truly moving. The cast is excellent, particularly, the kids.

I saw the film in 2D because my wife and I both hate 3D. I cannot imagine how putting this film in 3D could make it any better. The cinematography implied plenty of depth without the need for headache-inducing gimmickry.

I highly recommend the film to everyone.

No comments: