Thursday, February 15, 2007

OVER THE HEDGE & ANT BULLY

OVER THE HEDGE is a fun, funny and intelligent animated film based on the comic of the same name. I've always wondered why the SAG awards don't have a voice performance category. If they did, the ensemble award would go to this film, which includes Bruce Willis, Garry Shandling, Steve Carell, Wanda Sykes, William Shatner, Nick Nolte, and Thomas Haden Church.

The only thing weak about the film was the awful songs by Ben Folds, which stuck out like a sore thumb. Otherwise, there's a lot of fun for both kids and adults.

It did remind me of a film I saw last summer before I started writing blog reviews, THE ANT BULLY. Both films have exterminators as main characters, both wearing orange hazard suits, and both having similar faces. Even weirder... the exterminator in HEDGE is played by Thomas Haden Church; in BULLY he's played by Church's SIDEWAYS co-star Paul Giamatti. Both actors were nominated for Oscars in SIDEWAYS. I guess that was a Dreamworks in-joke?

ANT BULLY
is also a fun film, but is much more geared towards the younger set.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Uh excuse me, Ben Folds' songs are each their own masterpiece.