Sunday, July 06, 2008

BUGS BUNNY ON BROADWAY

For years I had avoided the annual show at the Hollywood Bowl called BUGS BUNNY ON BROADWAY, assuming that it would be mostly show tunes. It turns out that Warners was apparently afraid of scaring people off by calling it WHAT'S OPERA, DOC? or some other more appropriate title.

The first half of the show had many great cartoons, including ONE FROGGY EVENING, and culminated with RABBIT OF SEVILLE, which was by far the highlight of the evening. In fact, the second half of the show was a bit of a letdown, with only the Wagnerian WHAT'S OPERA, DOC? living up to the level of Act I. I can't remember the last time I laughed this much.

The show has been playing for 19 years and will go on hiatus next year, to come back the following year in a new incarnation. I highly recommend the show.

No comments: