Thursday, July 10, 2008

WALL•E

I can't get over it... the people at Pixar are geniuses, and on so many levels.

They keep outdoing themselves.

As a fan of technology, to me, the most amazing thing is that the technology pales compared to the storytelling. It took a lot of balls to write a script that has virtually no dialogue in it. The two main characters only speak about half a dozen words in the film, and the other characters speak very little. This means the story has to be told visually, which is inherently much more interesting.

I also admire the fact that the film has an extremely cynical view of our future. Perhaps it's because I fear so much of it could come true, but I like the fact that it shows an overwhelmingly negative view of humanity's future.

Oh, and then there's the incredible animation. There are many sequences involving the main characters where I forgot I was watching animation. These guys keep pushing the envelope, yet they do it in a way that integrates it so well into story, you forget how impressive it is.

I can't recommend this film enough.

No comments: