Sunday, April 24, 2011

Public Speaking

PUBLIC SPEAKING is an HBO portrait of the brilliant and witty writer Fran Lebovitz directed by Martin Scorcese. I wouldn't call it a documentary, it's sort of a cross between a one-woman show and My Dinner With Scorsese, although he barely speaks. A real documentary would have asked a woman who spends much of her time talking about gender identity and gay rights to talk about her own sexuality.

She's very smart and funny, so the film stands up well with just her, even though she is so opinionated she will eventually rub you the wrong way with something she says. The film would probably work better at an hour length, rather than an hour and twenty minutes. Still, it's worth watching. It did made me miss New York.

2 comments:

ElBerto said...

I appreciate your reviews, David. I've chuckled at some of your more savage opinions, and you've also lead me to some films I might otherwise have let slip by. Keep up the good work, sir.

Bret Scott

Bondelev said...

Thanks, Brett!