Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Hollywood Bowl

Today was a good day. I think the 242 lecture went well, I got through 2 clips and a mike demo in the bathroom.

We went to the Hollywood Bowl tonight and saw the Prokofiev pieces, which were the draw for me, and the Brahms Violin Concerto. The conductor was excellent, a Chinese woman named XIAN ZHANG.

However, the violin soloist was terrible. I can't remember the last time I went to the bowl and complained about a performer (well, other than the first horn), but this guy had terrible intonation problems all night, and at one point in the first movement he came in a bar early.

In the quiet part of the second movement, a chorus of coyotes began howling along with his solo. That's not a good sign.

But otherwise it was another excellent night.

No comments: