Wednesday, February 01, 2012

RISE of the PLANET OF THE APES

RISE of the PLANET OF THE APES was a complete surprise to me.

I so detested the Tim Burton film that I could not bring myself to watch another talking monkey film until I had to. As it turned out, they don't talk until the end, and even then, only a few syllables.

This is one of the best-written films of the year. Like WAR HORSE, the animals carry this movie, and for long stretches at a time, it is pure visual storytelling with no dialogue. The visual effects are astoundingly good and almost invisible except for the fact that I know they could not possibly have trained apes to do most of what they do in the film. The animal performances are amazing. Andy Serkis probably did deserve an Oscar nomination for his unique work in the film, but I doubt most Oscar voters saw the film or understood that the basis of Cesar's performance was a human actor.

If you avoided this film. I would recommend you see it. One of the best films of the year. And outstanding sound work by my good friend Chuck Michael!

No comments: