Thursday, January 20, 2011

BABIES

This was the longest 78 minutes I have ever had to sit through.

For some reason I thought that this might be a good film. I thought it was going to be an art documentary like KOYAANISQATSI, with artfully shot photos of babies in a giant music montage.

Boy was I wrong. It's putrid and as dull as dishwater. I honestly could not keep my eyes open. They used only four babies, there's no dialog, almost no music, and nothing happening. There's a US baby from San Fransisco (why?) with three international babies who are inherently far more interesting. The Tokyo baby unfortunately is too much like the American baby, but the more interesting babies are from Africa and Mongolia, since the style of raising babies there is so different from what we are used to.

Also, where was the diaper changing montage? We had to watch one baby rub his crotch against a rusty bucket for about five minutes (seriously, this is in the movie) but they don't even note that they need a changing now and then?

Avoid this film like the plague.

No comments: