Friday, December 28, 2007

THE SAVAGES

THE SAVAGES is a black comedy about two middle-aged children dealing with their aging father.

It's funny, sad and intelligent. It isn't brilliant, but very much worth watching. Perhaps it's that I went through my own father's illness and death six years ago, and now I'm seeing it again in my father-in-law. Dealing with illness and death is going to be something everyone will have to deal with, but with the human lifespan continuing to expand, the length of time dealing with the aging process is only getting longer.

There's some great acting in the film, although nothing Oscar-worthy. Laura Linney continues to surprise me with her range. Philip Seymour Hoffman is good in several scenes. Philip Bosco's part as the father is minimal but very good.

The last shot of the film is very powerful.

No comments: