Sunday, March 22, 2009

World Baseball Classic SEMI-FINALS

Three years ago I had hoped to go the the first WBC in Anaheim, but a job prohibited it. This year it fell perfectly into Spring Break, and I had to be in town anyway for an event yesterday. So I was excited to get to the ballpark yesterday for the Korea - Venezuela game. I had expected a close race, but by the time I got to my seat, the second home run of the game made it 5-0 in the top of the first for Korea, a lead they never lost.

Venezuela was a mess. They had played very well to get to that point, but in the semis it's a single elimination, and that was it for them.

The crowd was only about 2/3rds full at its peak, but it was as loud as I have ever heard it. Korean fans are insane.

Tonight it was the Japanese team versus the Americans. American fans have been terrible. Attendance was even worse tonight, and almost all of the crowd was Japanese. Roy Oswalt had a weak outing and Dice-K pitched well again for Japan.

That means the finals tomorrow night will be Korea vs. the previous champions, Japan. They have already played 4 games in the WBC this year. It should be exciting.

No comments: